Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pather Panchali


This past week in class, we watched Satajit Ray’s 1955 film Pather Panchali. At first, I was a bit skeptical on how it would go, but at the end I found myself in love with all 122 minutes of it. The narrative reflects the ideas of Italian Neo-realism where simplicity is key and daily life is emphasized. Some aspects of this type is location shooting, everyday people as actors, and basic camera movements. Nothing fancy, but still interesting. What was even better was the soundtrack. As soon as I got out of class, I ran onto Itunes to buy my copy.




It was the same music as in The Darjeeling Limited, a favorite of mine. I recommend you watch both movies and hope you enjoy the sitar sounds as much as I do.





Images from www.dearcinema.com, www.bristol.indymedia.org

No comments: