Monday, February 7, 2011

Hedda Gabler

Lately I've been watching a lot of BBC miniseries.  They deal with the usual situations: women trying to be independent(which is absolutely insane to everyone else in society) but end up falling in love, financial issues, marriage, unhappiness, and of course MARRIAGE.

Well this got me thinking about one of my favorite characters, Hedda from Henrik Ibsen's play Hedda Gabler.   I think I am the only one in the world who likes her character, which makes me so sad sometimes.  In highschool I remember doing a whole presentation for English class that defended every action of hers.  Ah, so much teenage angst....  I just related to every tormented character in each book that I read.  Who doesn't feel that way in high school?


It's ok, Hedda.  Don't be sad

One day I saw the movie and loved the outfits that she wore.  They were so similar to the 19th century silhouettes that were being pounded into my brain thanks to BBC on Netflix.




I was inspired to put my own spin on that way of dressing.  I paired a long skirt with a messy bun and fitted shirt to create my look.  I felt so feminine, yet still pretty fierce because of my leopard print.

Skirt and shirt by H&M
DSC_0248
Necklace and belt thrifted
Sweater by ZARA

DSC_0252

No comments: